Saturday, April 6, 2013

"People like us don't get into heaven"


I had a humbling conversation with two sisters last week after our NewSpring Easter service that honestly still blesses and haunts me.  These woman came back to the Care/Prayer room after the rush of salvations and they honestly looked like they had seen a ghost.  I was told that these ladies needed to sign up for baptism but when I sat down with them I quickly realized that they had no idea what was happening to them.  They were shaking and heart was beating out of their chest. 
These sisters were both under strong conviction from Perry's message about what Jesus had done on the cross but confused about what all of this meant.  I asked a few standard questions: If you died today, on a scale of 1-10, do you believe you would go to heaven.  One sister said a zero and the other sister said after the message a six.  I asked more questions about why they felt this way and basically I was told that people like "them" don't get to go to heaven.  As tears streamed down their ashamed faces I got to share the amazing news the God loves them just the same as someone that has gone to church their entire life and he forgives them from any mistakes they have made in the past.  These sisters had never had a church experience and were honestly so astounded at the Gospel and the Good News of Jesus.
We talked for a while and after talking they were ready to say together holding hands the sinners prayer.  They said it loud and proud and opened their eyes KNOWING they are going to heaven and God loves them immensely.  
I can honestly say this was the most amazing conversation I had ever had.  I felt like I was literally reshaping how these woman view life and giving them a new birthday!  Perry Noble's mission to reach the unchurched has landed right in my lap that day and I understand now why it is so important to minister and get people to church.  Of course it is important to get everyone to church because we all needs God's mercy, grace and love but I'm haunted by fact that people honestly have never been told about Jesus. These girls knew about religious people and church because they were raised in the Southeast....but they had NEVER had any interest in trying to fit into that environment.  Thank you NewSpring and other churches that are doing anything to break down those religious walls and getting beautiful people like these two sisters to hear about Jesus and turning their lives totally around for them and their family.....imagine all the people these two sisters are going to touch with their testimony!!! 

Here is Perry's Easter message. I can promise you if you have NEVER heard the Easter story or you have heard it a million times, you will be moved! 
This is Our God

No comments:

Post a Comment